Not So Fast Fashion
I hate to be the bearer of bad news once again but... Did you know the fashion industry is responsible for 10% of annual global carbon emissions? That's more than all international flights and maritime shipping combined!
The fashion industries practices are designed to get us to buy more than we need, more often than we need and there are terrible consequences for the environment.
The good news is there is plenty we can do about it. Some ways to limit our impact are:
- Buy quality, not quality
- Work towards a "capsule" wardrobe of items that won't go out of fashion
- By second hand - from places like thrift stores and Facebook Marketplace
- Rent clothes for special occasions
- Sell or donate items you no longer need
- Avoid synthetic fibers and plastic based clothes
- Look for sustainable brands
Following these tips helps the planet, saves you cash and sends a message to the industry to change their ways.
Next time you see someone at your local supermarket in stained tracksuit from 1992, don't judge them - admire them.